Monday 11 July 2016

What do I want to be when I grow up?

To make this blog a little less boring I've decided to add something a little more personal in the hope that you readers can get to know me better.
For years my teachers have ben asking me "What do you want to be when you grow up?" This is a pretty hard question when I was 9 and now at 16 I'm still undecided. At first, the idea of being an orthodontist, dietician, or translator all got tossed around but my newest goal in between two career paths: and engineer or a doctor.

The reason I think I would be interested in engineering is because I love math. Yes; I am a total nerd, I participate in the bi-annual University of Waterloo Math Competitions since grade seven. There are tons of different engineering occupations but I am interested in becoming an environmental engineer, designing and evaluation technologies that decrease our carbon footprint or analysing and improving tools that will help the environment. The aspect that is making me nervous about going into engineering is all of the computer sciences and skills that I feel I am lacking. All in all, it's a viable option for me.

The other job that I have been pondering for a while is being a doctor. I love the idea of promoting a healthy lifestyle and helping people out. Being a Doctor is very demanding, though, years and years of school then residency and the hours at first could be crazy. That's one of the drawbacks for me; being a doctor means that your whole life is your job, way over 40 hours a week, on call, sleeping at the hospital etc. It can be really really stressful and sad at times. If I don't become a doctor I still like the idea of helping people wit their health so I pondered the idea of being a sports injury physiotherapist. I really can't decide as you can see.

The universities I have been looking at include Waterloo, Queen's, McGill, Ottawa, and McMasters. For math, Univesity of Waterloo would be my first choice but I like the idea of being in a bilingual area such as Ottawa or Montreal so I can keep practicing my french.

My plan for the next two years is to take as many sciences and maths that I can as well as my French Immersion courses to keep all the doors open, who knows, I might apply for three different programs at different universities and only get accepted into one; in that case the choice would be made for me.

2 comments:

  1. Math and science type, huh?
    Best of luck!
    My fond undergrad years at the University of Waterloo were amazing. Waterloo is great since it's a university town and there's a diversity of people.
    My only suggestion might be to go to a school that has a Med school if you choose to go that route. Med schools might like to see their own students be successful and you'll start to get to know all of your profs. It's something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...
    Dentist in Brampton, ON

    ReplyDelete