Saturday 9 July 2016

Descriptive Essay: My Dream House

Good Copy: highlighted phrases are rhetorical devices
It is hard sometimes to think about the future because it is so uncertain, we don’t know where we will be or what we will be doing in ten or twenty years.  All this stress and insecurity doesn’t stop us from dreaming, imagining the perfect house is one thing that I have thoroughly reflected upon. I can picture it vividly in my head from what colour the pillows are to where the pool will be. Details such as location, exterior curb appeal and interior design, all with personal touches and uniqueness make up the house of my dreams.
                Location, location, location, that’s the saying isn’t it? My dream house would, of course, have the perfect location. It would be somewhere on the west coast of Canada, close to Vancouver where the great Rocky Mountains dominate over the city with their natural beauty. Vancouver is a great city with the pacific waves crashing up on the shore and tons of boats cruising in the harbour. My dream home would be located close enough to this fabulous city but away from the hustle and bustle for a private space and a quiet neighborhood. There will be limited homes around as to avoid living in a fishbowl. From the road, only part of the long, winding driveway would be visible with two light posts made of brick on either side as the grand entrance of my dream home.  This marvelous house will be substantially elevated from sea level in order to have a postcard-worthy view but not too high as to get lost in the clouds. All these demands for the perfect location are very hard to find and rare; they are just as unrealistic as the rest of my dream home.
As you make your way down the meandering driveway, my dream home will come into view and it will not be a huge magazine-worthy mansion but instead a large bungalow with a unique curb appeal. In the center is the large burgundy front door with symmetrical sidelights each with white trim. On both sides, there are two bay windows and the house extends further then cuts backward to form a rectangle. There is a gingerbread style roof of which there are many solar panels; the peak of the triangle roof is directly above the front door and descends low over the sides of the house. On the left side of the house there is an attached two-car garage and further in the back, the house peaks up enclosed all by windows, where special rooms are hidden. The vertical, grey siding descends three-quarter way down the front then the bottom quarter is all grey stone laid horizontally. To contrast, the shutters and door are all a deep wine colour. The lot on which my dream home sits is fairly large with lots of green space and a forest in the back which leads all the way to a campfire. The backyard oasis is comprised of a modern outdoor kitchen with grill and bar as well as an in-ground pool which is lit underwater by multi-coloured lights for a rainbow swim. All around the home and yard, there are mature trees and flower beds with my favourite plants including daffodils, lilies, and lilacs. From the outdoor seating area, you are able to see my own garden with a variety of herbs and vegetables. The last attribute to complete the perfect backyard is a hammock lounging between two strong maple trees; the perfect spot to read a book or an afternoon siesta. The outside of my dream home is simple but elegant which will make people earning to see the interior.
The inside of my dream home is modern but with many personalisation’s and character so it is still cozy. As you walk in the front door past the stairs, you enter into an open concept, modern and bright kitchen. There is an island in the middle topped with granite countertops and stone backsplashes line the walls. For this dream kitchen to be perfect it would be complete with a double oven and lots of counter space to satisfy my cooking interests. Other unique rooms that require special consideration in my dream home is, first of all, the library. It’s about the size of a small bedroom with shelves covering every inch of wall space and books everywhere is sight the books are crammed in like sardines because by the time I get my dream house the collection would be monstrous.  Best all, there is a wide, cushioned bench on the window ledge as the perfect book nook. One of the most unique rooms in the house is up the stairs where I have an office and a gym which are both walled only with windows, this is the part of the house that peaks up just a bit from the outside. While working out or just working, I can admire the picturesque view of the backyard, the sun perched just over the horizon and of course the Rocky Mountains surrounding me. Next, we have the cute as a button craft room installed with a large table in the center on which all the quilts found in the home would be handmade. Supplies are organized by colour, type, and frequency of to promote efficiency. I can imagine my craft room with unique paintings on the walls and music always playing for a calm and creative atmosphere. All the bedrooms will be themed, for example, the spare bedroom will be daffodils, so a warm yellow and off-white quilt with leaf green accents. The living room will concentrate on coziness with a fireplace under the flat-screen TV, big couches, and extra-soft rugs. The bedrooms with themed rooms and personal touches all give off a unique feeling inside my dream home.
A lot of this is very unrealistic because I would need a lot of luck, money and time to plan and build this dream home but it’s always good to have a plan and a dream to keep our imagination awake. The rare location in a quiet area but close to the city of Vancouver is hard to find but this is the blueprint for my dream house. The exterior lawn and yard space is perfect for entertainment on the patio or relaxation in the hammock. Inside, the special glass-wall rooms and library give this home a character. All in all, even though I may never actually live in this place, I hope someday I can find a way to some of my dream house a reality.


1 comment: