Saturday 9 July 2016

Memoir Assignment - Lost and left in Paris

Some people dream of visiting Paris, expectations of the city include French music along La Seine, café’s lining the narrow streets and lovers throwing keys into the water; unfortunately not all those dreams were a reality when I visited the Eifel Tower. During the last week of our three week England and France trip with the Girl Guides in 2013, we spent a day in Paris and it was all going well until I got separated from the group or in other words, lost at the top of the Eifel Tower.
We had just finished a gourmet lunch at the Eifel Tower restaurant looking over the parks and city which was very nice. As a result, I was distracted by the view and caught the end of the discussion about meeting back in an hour “right here”, as one of the leaders told me, pointing her finger down as if where she stood was the exact location.
There wasn’t enough time to climb all the stairs up to the very top therefore I explored the first and second level of the Eifel Tower. I spent the next hour taking pictures; there was so much of Paris to see from way up there. I was amazed at the beauty of it all being such a busy and frankly dirty city as I had experienced on the ground. I saw other girls from my group briefly but I continued on my own agenda as I wanted to take in the experience as much as possible.
From what I heard we were supposed to meet at 3:15 outside the restaurant. Ten after three came around and I was standing in what I believed was the meeting place alone for about five minutes until I became much stressed.  I waited there, just to be sure until 3:20; still no one. Panicked and scared, I searched the bathrooms, the restaurant, the café, the gift shop and the viewpoints all the way around but there wasn’t a Canadian soul I knew. At this point, my heart rate had dramatically increased and it was 3:30, I knew there was something wrong. I was really scared and as a result, my brain jumped to the worst conclusion that they had forgotten me and left, I figured it could have been done easily enough with just under twenty girls to supervise.
Eventually, I concluded that my group was not on the tower and the need for help became increasingly urgent as time passed. Thankfully I speak French so first I asked the elevator lady but she didn’t seem to want to help. Then I went to the restaurant and inquired, fortunately, they were much nicer and handled the situation in a professional manner. Trying desperately to not become overly emotional, I explained the situation to them. Eventually, a message was conveyed that one of my leaders was at the bottom. So down I went with the security guard, past the grumpy elevator attendant down to the bottom of the Eifel Tower to find one of my leaders.
Apparently, the bus had already left with the rest of the group for the Louvre and we had to walk in order to regroup. It was a beautiful day so I really didn’t mind the forty minute trek along the river and all was well until we actually arrived at the giant museum to find out that we were too late to go in and we had missed the tour. Upon hearing the news I was very very upset. The world’s most renowned art Museum here in Paris with some of the most famous paintings of all times. I missed the Last Supper, the Mona Lisa and the sculpture of the Victory of Samothrace. I had thoroughly missed a priceless experience.

I was notified after of the obvious miscommunication that “right here” meant right there but at the bottom.  I learned from this that I should never assume, always clarify and don’t ever go off on your own, especially at the top of the Eifel Tower. That adventure shaped my view of Paris, my expectations were crushed and I my willingness to return subsided therefore I had no desire to return at all. Favorably this past March break I did go back to Paris on the school trip but I didn’t get lost; I had a much better experience the second time around. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammatically and thematically sound. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete